Friday, January 18, 2013

Finally.

Part of me can't believe it's ours. And part of me feels like we've lived here forever.

Today we closed on the house, and it was not without its share of fiascos.


Some of you may know us from Oh, Bungalow. We bought that house knowing it would be a starter home, knowing it would not hold us for more than 5-10 years. But we put so much work into the place. We became so comfortable in the house. We still have so much to do! I don't think we ever really thought we'd leave.

But we have outgrown the house. My mother (and sometimes my sister) will also be moving into the house.  We have 4 large dogs. And cats. We inherited a lot of large (and beautiful and un-give-uppable) furniture from my grandmother.

Then this house came along. This house that I have walked the dogs by, ridden my bicycle by, driven by and been smitten by my whole life. It's one of those houses that you can't miss. It's in the same neighborhood that we are currently in. It's been on the market for a while.

It was a perfect storm of opportunity and necessity.

So we decided to buy it.

Once the price had been settled on, scheduling an inspection around Christmas was difficult; and then once it was scheduled, the sellers didn't want us in the house. Then the insurance wouldn't bind without the promise of a new roof. And the sellers didn't think they could get out by closing. It's been one thing after another.

But today we closed. We closed! It's ours.

We have a few things we need to do to it, and handful of things we want to do to it. And a lot of history that I'd love to share about the house and its many previous owners. It's not the fixer-upper that the Bungalow was and is, but it is an amazing place. I will detail the house with pictures, starting tomorrow. This blog will chronicle those changes and the history, as well as our lives with all tehse animals, training and caring for them, making their food and managing them. I'll begin relaying all the history that I know about the house, and slowly introducing you to our Funny Farm. There will also surely be a flurry of activity on the Oh, Bungalow page; I'll be cross-posting and linking a lot of those updates.

So here we go. Historic home, second time around. After the first one, I can't believe we've decided to tackle it again. But we have. We must be crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment